Paul Mueller Studio, 1910-11
Purcell, Feick, and Elmslie
4835 Bryant Avenue South, Minneapolis
In 1910, Paul Mueller approached the firm of Purcell, Feick, and Elmslie about designing a home for him and his wife and a studio for his new landscape-architecture practice. Elmslie designed the studio first, incorporating the same three-sided tower form used in both the Powers House and the Decker House garage. The tuck-under garage was excavated at a later date.
related house of interest:
Mueller House, 1912-13
4844 Aldrich Avenue South, Minneapolis
Although Paul Mueller was satisfied with Purcell and Elmslie's studio design, he decided to construct an English half-timber house instead of the one they proposed. Purcell expressed his usual disdain for "period style architecture" when he later wrote, "This was hardly related to either the economics or the spiritual content of our times and, indeed, is not a very good weather resisting form of construction. . . . Saddest of all, it turned out just an ordinary house, and as always in design by borrowed style forms, the dwelling spoke with none of the charm and grace which Mueller had expected would arrive from Elizabethan England. . . . The Charm Fled, to England Back." next stop >