Austrian, 1888 - 1956
Hagenauer Werkstätte, manufacturer (Vienna)
Candelabra, c. 1930
H. 21 x W. 8 x D. 9 1/2 in.
In 1898, goldsmith Carl Hagenauer opened a workshop in Vienna called Werkstätten Hagenauer and began producing a wide range of metalware. His son Karl studied with such notable designers as Josef Hoffmann and became director of the family business in 1928 after his father died. Although initially influenced by Hoffmann and the Wiener Werkstätte, Karl Hagenauer made increasingly sophisticated designs over time, as these metal candelabra from 1930 show. Remarkably avant-garde, the set consists of stylized tree forms that branch outward at right angles. This overall angularity, however, is somewhat softened by the rounded tubular stems, which can be positioned in countless ways to create changing spatial compositions.