Austrian, 1886 - 1923
Wiener Werkstätte, manufacturer (Vienna)
Centerpiece bowl, c.1920
H. 6 3/4 x W. 11 in.
The departure of co-founder Koloman Moser from the Wiener Werkstätte in 1907 was a turning point in the Werkstätte's aesthetic development. The quest for geometric simplicity which Moser and Josef Hoffmann had pioneered was, by this time, already fading. New artists such as Berthold Löffler and Dagobert Peche (pronounced Pecka) had introduced an ornamental revival to the Werkstätte as works became increasingly luxurious and opulent.
Peche's vision was a near antithesis to the practical down-to-earth concerns that had previously dominated the Werkstätte. With a strong accent on individuality rather than a shared WW signature style, Peche's work often conveys an unbridled exoticism. One of his finest pieces, this centerpiece bowl blends the clean lines of early Werkstätte designs with a nervous energy generated by the three fields of reversed S-swirl pattern, all carefully rendered in exceptionally thin hand-hammered silver.