Austrian, 1872 - 1938
Johann Lötz-Witwe Glassworks, manufacturer (Klostermühle)
Lamp, c. 1905
H. 29 x Dia. 16 1/2 in.
A student of the influential Austrian architect Otto Wagner, Leopold Bauer often designed furnishings for the buildings he created. In 1898, the Viennese Lötz-Witwe Glassworks sponsored a major exhibition of iridescent glass by Max von Spaun. The following year, Spaun introduced his papillon (butterfly) glass, named for its closely clustered iridescent spots and resemblance to magnified butterfly wings. Lötz employed Bauer and other designers like Koloman Moser to develop various objects for the firm using this new glass.