Scottish, 1874 - 1951
Display cabinet, c. 1898
H. 68 1/2 x W. 36 x D. 17 1/4 in.
E. A. Taylor trained as a draftsman in the shipbuilding yards of Scotland before enrolling at the Glasgow School of Art in 1890, where he came under the influence of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, J. H. MacNair, and Frances and Margaret MacDonald. Around 1900, Taylor joined the Glasgow cabinetmaking firm of Wylie and Lockhead. This early display cabinet by him has been immaculately crafted in mahogany with inlays of hardwood, mother-of-pearl, and abalone shell. Its refined craftsmanship and delicate proportions make it one of the finest examples of high-style Arts and Crafts design.